CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

February 5, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover Experience

So a few weeks ago, my employer got a phone call asking if she would be the project head for the draperies for a house being built by the Extreme Makeover Home Edition in Tucson. She agreed, and got a bunch of other workrooms to volunteer to do some of the work too, since a bunch of stuff had to be done very quickly (like...2 days). We recieved the fabric Thursday night, distributed between about 15 workrooms, so we each had just a little to do, and got everything made. I got to make 6 pillows :)
We then drove down to Tucson on Monday afternoon to deliver all of our work (after tons of problems with not enough fabric etc...). Originally the install was planned for 6pm Monday, but they got behind (surprise, surprise...) by about a day at one point. So instead, the install was 12:30 or 1ish in the morning. Craziness!
We (10 workroom ladies and 1 daughter) went to dinner after arrival in Tucson, and then went to the jobsite to deliver our stuff. It took a few minutes to make the volunteer check-in people realize that we couldn't CARRY all the stuff that was in the back of 5 large vehicles up to the house, and that we needed to drive there. Once we got clearance to drive up(sheesh security was tight!), we had to wait 20-30 minutes for our turn to back into the driveway to unload. After everything was unloaded, the designer that we were doing work with (a behind-the-scenes designer that actually does all the work, not one of the on screen dudes) asked if we could help get the goods to the correct rooms, and then whoever was most familiar with the hardware to explain to the volunteer carpenter guys who were doing the installing how to put the stuff up. The one actual drapery installer they had gotten to help with the house ended up unavailable, as his wife went into labor earlier that day...So, I got to wander around a mostly finished house for a couple hours in the middle of the night (wasn't much for me to do, and if I tried to unload anything even remotely heavy I got scolded...). Ended up that a pair of the outdoor draperies for the back porch was 36 inches too short, because the designer misread the house plans, so Karen (my boss) and Cindy (another workroom lady) got to go to a local workroom and add on to the panels (luckily there was extra fabric for it!!). I happened to be rooming with them at the hotel, so I got the hotel room to myself until almost 5am when the finally finished. Go them! They are amazing.
The next day, we had planned on returning to the house to dress the draperies and check that everything had been installed correctly and looked good, but we got there a little late, and the house was on lockdown and we couldn't get in. But, the designer got us into the VIP section for the "house reveal" so we hung out outside for the next.....5 hours. Holy dang it took forever! None of us will be able to watch the show the same again after sitting through all the practicing and takes and whatnot. We would have left and come back, but if anyone left the VIP area they couldn't get back in...lucky for us, the VIP area was equipped with a tent/canopy, food, and water to keep us occupied for the long wait. We all agree that it is cool to be able to say we helped, but none of us would do it again!!
Oh yeah, and on top of it all, they were out of the cool blue volunteer shirts we were supposed to get, so they are going to mail 'em to us when the get back to their office...we were a little disappointed...
Anyways, it airs on March 22, so if you watch, I made some of that stuff!
(I only have pics of the outside of the house on the reveal day, we weren't allowed to take any pics inside, sorry! And I don't feel like getting out my camera...Yes, I am beyond lazy :) )

2 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Ha ha ha... you are so funny. It is cool to say you helped on it though! I told my mom it will be fun to watch and then point out all the install mistakes that are inevitably there. What do you say, shall we make a party out of it? hee hee

Karissa said...

Kirsten! I'm so happy I found your blog! AND, that is such an awesome story - go you! =)
I hope things are all going well for you!